A Surprising Response to Rick Perry….
Rick Perry has done more damage to his image and himself, just by declaring his candidacy for President. The long-term governor of my state (Texas), has shown how desperate he has become to gain favor in this GOP primary season, and his negative efforts have not gone unnoticed. It’s embarrassing and uncalled for, and I find myself having to explain myself every-time I meet someone new, and tell them “I’m from Texas”(even though I have never voted for Perry in any election). So when our Governor decided to come out with his latest campaign ad entitled, “Strong”, it really seemed that he had sunk to a new low, where he disparages various groups, claims he’s a Christian, and continues to spew his special bran of narrow-minded bigotry. Over the past week I have seen many rebuttals to his ad on YouTube, some funny and some absolutely stupid. But today I came across a rebuttal that was neither of these. It was made by 2 sisters, who sincerely put their views regarding Perry’s ad, clearly and with class. Not everyone will like what they have to say, but that is really not the point. Anyone can criticize anyone else, but until you have the courage that they showed in this video, to share their own personal views…. there is absolutely no reason to debate what they have done. But I will say, in their own quiet way…. they presented a powerful message.
We’re not ashamed to admit that we’re Christians, but we don’t think that being in a pew on Sunday is what makes you one. We know there is something wrong in this country when you can spin the name of Jesus Christ, the living body of love and grace, into a political platform. Especially when this platform demonizes the very people who sacrifice their own lives so that you can have that platform at all. Rick Perry, you said that you’ll end the war on religion. We’re waiting for a president who doesn’t dilute religion into a mere political constituency, but instead embraces it as a powerful way to bridge the gap of vast differences among our fellow Americans. Grace is what makes us strong, and will make us strong again because not our country, nor Rick Perry, nor either of us deserve it. We’re gay, we’re straight, we’re black, we’re white, we’re rich, we’re poor, we’re conservative, we’re liberal, we’re Christian, we’re not …and Jesus loves the little children. All the children of the world. We strive to love you all extravagantly… the way that Jesus loved. We’re sisters, and we approve this message.
- Dear Rick Perry (tonyavrba.wordpress.com)
- Jesus of Nazareth Responds To Rick Perry’s Anti-Gay Ad (towleroad.com)
- Jesus Responds to Rick Perry ‘Strong’ Ad (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- vote for me! the politicization and manipulation of jesus, christians, and religion (eugenecho.com)
- Funny Or Die Delivers Jesus’s Response To Being Dragged Into The Rick Perry Campaign (mediaite.com)
- Take THAT, Rick Perry!!!!!!! (Part 2) (passthedoucheys.com)
- people are freaking out over this rick perry video (busblog.tonypierce.com)
- Jesus vs. Rick Perry? (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Rick Perry’s homophobic ad generates dissension, not support (capitolhillblue.com)
- Rick Perry’s Message, Condensed (memebase.com)
- Reporting Rick Perry for hate speech [Flickr] (nofluffjuststuff.com)
- Rick Perry Declares War On Other People’s Religion (lezgetreal.com)
- James Moore: Jesus on the Jumbotron – Excerpted From Adios Mofo: Why Rick Perry Will Make America Miss George W. Bush (huffingtonpost.com)